canberrabirds

Botanic Gardens help.

Subject: Botanic Gardens help.
From: "Paul T." <>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 21:15:46 +1000
At 07:00 PM 12/06/2009, you wrote:
Hey all,
I'm going to the Botanic Gardens tomorrow for the 1st time in a few years (no, I don't get out much!) and was wondering if anyone knew of anything I should keep an eye out for. I'm keen for any type of robin but I've no idea what is generally there at all!
Thanking you all in advance,

Alberta,

I'm sending this to the list just in case it is of interest to anyone else reading it as well.....

There have been yellow robins this week down in the Banks Loop area when we were working there (I currently work at the ANBG), and they regularly headed up hill from there as well, so anywhere down that section of the gardens would be worthwhile checking for them. There is an active bower with apparently black male satin bowerbird (I haven't seen it there, but have seen it flitting about elsewhere this week) a bit further uphill from there (just along from that little pond across from the memorial bench on the path.... it has been mentioned here at times before). I am at home and it isn't my area at work, so I don't have section numbers to help you with for the bower. The Banks Loop is below section 143, and that is where I saw the yellow robins (3 of them) a couple of times this week. They were quite friendly, comparatively, and even posed for a couple of photos. If I'd had my good camera there I am sure I would have got some great photos..... unfortunately I only had my old one that I take to work with me.

Hopefully others can help with some information on recent sightings as well.

Good luck.

Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia - USDA Zone Equivalent approx. 8/9

Growing an eclectic collection of plants from all over the world including Aroids, Crocus, Cyclamen, Erythroniums, Fritillarias, Galanthus, Irises, Trilliums (to name but a few) and just about anything else that doesn't move!!