canberrabirds

RE: Chestnut-rumped Heathwren at Pierce's Creek

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: RE: Chestnut-rumped Heathwren at Pierce's Creek
From: Marnix Zwankhuizen <>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 15:04:55 +1000
I went back out to Pierces Creek this morning arriving after 8 am. The next 3 hours were spent searching unsuccesfully for the heathwrens. Luckily there were almost no trail bikes present today. In that time I only heard the birds twice, both times their extended song.

I did find a single Fuscous Honeyeater, several Common Bronzewing, and a small group of Brown-headed Honeyeaters passing through. Also a Collared Sparrowhawk hunting low over the shrubland.

The most interesting sightings were a Yellow-tufted Honeyeater at the Cotter Lookout, where I went afterwards. It flew through with a flock of Yellow-faced Honeyeaters towards Mt MacDonald. And earlier 2 Peaceful Doves along the Cotter Rd just past the entrance to Riverview horse agistment. They flew up from the roadside when I passed.

Cheers
Marnix