canberrabirds

DW-s Migration & Diamond Firetails

To: "'Philip Veerman'" <>, "'Julian Robinson'" <>, <>
Subject: DW-s Migration & Diamond Firetails
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 10:52:23 +1000
Oh dear, I should have known better than to load this just-a-chatline with a
serious comment.  As I have suggested before, I think the most coherent
approach is to regard our only true migrants as those that seasonally are
completely absent from SE Aust (or at least from the Canberra area broadly
defined).  The trouble is that there is no convenient word for other species
that are not in that category but show some pattern of seasonal movement,
like BFCS, DWS and YFHE.  Thus 'migrant' tends to be pressed into service
for any seasonal mover.  This leads to inappropriate reports of 'firsts'.
'Partial migrant' does not fit a species whose local population is replaced
by others.

As to the D Firetail, I'll just refer to the HANZAB summary, which reports
considerable seasonal movement, at least in places where it has been studied
systematically.  A bird banded at Warranderry, n. of Grenfell, was recovered
at Michelago.  As to the Canberra birds, nobody knows where they are when
they are absent from or very scarce in their usual local haunts.  If we
could ever get info from the database, we might learn whether the pattern is
annual or - perhaps more likely -  cyclical according to conditions, as with
the dry-country woodswallows.