canberrabirds

DW-s Migration Narrabundah

To: "'Julian Robinson'" <>, <>
Subject: DW-s Migration Narrabundah
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 15:34:15 +1000
Yes, as with the YFHEs there is a big altitudinal element with the Duskies
and a question is whether those seen in the cooler months are stayers or
from elsewhere.  As Philip points out in his note, the Duskies build to an
apparent ('garden') peak in April (nothing unusual in the current reports)
and are generally absent in June/July.  I agree that encouraging reports of
a possible 'last sighting' - say beginning in June - would be useful.  It
can be predicted that most 'first reports' will be in August, but in either
case you won't know whether they're local breeders or transiting birds.