canberrabirds

Re: Protect Ginninderra Falls and the Murrumbidgee

To: "COG bird discussions" <>
Subject: Re: Protect Ginninderra Falls and the Murrumbidgee
From: "Denis Wilson" <>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 23:34:30 +1100
Dear COG list people,

Protect Ginninderra Falls and the Murrumbidgee

As this is in your backyard, I feel justified in sending this environmental alert, and request for lobbying assistance
to you. I know nothing of the background to this case, personally.  It has been sent to me as a personal request from a friend of a friend.

I take the information at face value, as a legitimate environmental concern.
I hope I am correct in that assumption. No doubt someone will correct the record if that is not the case.

Please consider.

Denis Wilson
Robertson NSW

This issue directly affects a property which is just on the NSW side of the ACT, and they have a very short time to respond and take action to prevent a beautiful part of Australia being permanently scarred and potentially polluted.

Begin forwarded message:
We need your support!!!!

For those who remember the old Ginninderra Falls before their closure, try imagining the surrounding environmentally protected land being quarried for red granite.  Then picture a large concrete crushing plant on site.  This is a proposal put forth to the Yass Valley Council, alongside landfill of an old quarry site.  The new quarry site, alongside the area for landfill, have the potential to overflow directly into our Murrumbidgee catchment.  There is no promise or guaranteed way of policing for the use of unclean fill, or to fine for its use.  If found, the proposal states it will be removed – after the effects have been felt downstream.  Add to that a concrete crushing plant with the potential to dump dust or sludge of lime, silica and even hexavalent chromium (remember the movie Erin Brockovich?) into our beautiful river. There have also been endangered and threatened flora and fauna species which exist on the proposed quarry site.   The applicants have previously been quoted as calling the area ‘Canberra’s Kakadu’ – WHAT A BACKFLIP!!!

Please, respond to this email at  with your concerns or support, or contact the Yass Valley Council quoting reference PR5533 and DA 5.2007.346.1 - responses are accepted until Thursday 2nd April 2009.

Thank you for speaking up for appropriate development and against ravaging of our natural resources.