canberrabirds

european wasps again

To: "Canberra Birds" <>, "Elizabeth Compston" <>
Subject: european wasps again
From: "Peter Ormay" <>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 18:36:24 +1100
Hi Elizabeth

1;- They don't sting unprovoked as far as I know but swishing at them to try to make them go away may provoke them. I wouldn't go inside to have a cuppa, just ignore them.

2;- I have found one nest by feeding them and searching in the direction they flew with the feed. The nest was about 100m away. I found another nest at the Kingston Railway Station by searching in the direction they flew from a dripping tap adjacent to the platform. The nest was in the middle of the lawn between the railway station and Wentworth Av. where a tree stump had rotted out.

To locate a nest I would feed them fish (carp is good) or liver on a saucer while I was having a cuppa or in a feeder (to protect it from maggies and currawongs - described below) hung up out of reach of dogs and cats and watch the direction they flew. Then leaflet about 10 houses to at least 100m in that direction with European Wasp leaflets (available from the Environment ACT shopfront in Macarthur House crnr Northborne Av x Macarthur Av.) with my phone number and a note explaining what I was trying to do if there were houses in that direction and wait for a response. OR knock on the door(s) where they were flying and ask if they'd mind if I searched their yard for wasps. Chances are they'd be a nuisance to them too and be happy to have their yard searched and assist and put up a feeder too and help track them.

If there were no houses, I would move the feeder 50m - 100m in the direction they were flying and watch again. The two directions should give a location to start searching. I'd search by walking slowly in an ever increasing circle, watching for wasps coming and going from a hole in the ground, tree, rock wall, house wall, roof, thick shrub etc. If the nest is small there would only be a few per minute, if large there would be a steady stream coming and going.

nests on private property is the responsibility of the proprty owner. City parks people will treat ones on public land.

FEEDER
Cut 3 or 4 slots near the bottom of (about2cm up) a 1 litre plastic soft drink bottle big enough for wasps (about 5mm wide and 20mm high) to get in, cut it off about half way to put the feed in and tape it or tie it together through holes poked in the side. (You may be able to press it in without the need for tape or string)

Regards
Peter