canberrabirds

european wasps again

To: "Elizabeth Compston" <>, "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: european wasps again
From: "Peter Ormay" <>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 13:30:56 +1100
Dear All
We should be ancouraging the ACT and Federal Governments to make the bait that European Wasps will carry back to the nest and wipe the nest and other insects aren't interested in available. Such a bait exists i believe but the authorities are reluctant to legalise it because it can be modified or used to kill other things. There are several other baits such as rat poisons that are on supermarket shelves that can be modified or used to kill other things.

Having to locate nests to destroy European Wasps is too time consuming and costly and will not be an effective method in controlling European Wasps as they are becoming more widespread in remote areas. They are potentially as devastating to our insect fauna (and hence effect insectivorous birds) as Cane Toads are to frogs and other animals in the north. If an effective bait for Cane Toads were found that could kill other things if misused I'm sure it would be legalised and it's use implemented quickly.
Peter