canberrabirds

Cuckoos on Mt Franklin Road

To: COG line <>
Subject: Cuckoos on Mt Franklin Road
From: Robin Hide <>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 18:43:18 +1100

Visited Bendora Dam via Uriarra, Brindabella Rd, Mt Franklin Road this morning. Highlights: 5 raptor sightings:  a Brown Falcon (high in tree just before Uriarra Settlement), 3 Wedge Tailed Eagles (2 on ground near road and one nearby in tree, just after Uriarra), a  Nankeen Kestrel half way up Br  Road,  (and 2 other glimpses of unidentified raptors beside Mt Franklin Rd.); several cuckoos seen - all on Mt Franklin Road, including  (I think) one immature Pallid Cuckoo, an adult Fan-tailed Cuckoo, an immature Bronze-Cuckoo (unsure about species), and another glimpsed against the sun without id.
To finish off, just down the Bendora Rd off Mt Fr Rd, a Spotted Quail-thrush on the road ( not as many as Martin saw the other day..) , and several Flame Robins; and at Uriarra, several Dusky Woodswallows.

Following Jack Holland's comments about cuckoos in this months Gang-Gang, I’ld be grateful for any suggestions/corrections about the cuckoo ids: photos below, what I take to be Fan-tailed, Pallid, and Bronze-Cuckoo (sp unclear? -poor photo).

Thanks
Robin Hide