canberrabirds

little eagles - I think not

To: "'Alison Mackerras'" <>, <>
Subject: little eagles - I think not
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 19:08:43 +1100
Hello Alison,

Sure I wasn't there to see more than what the photo shows but sorry I
think I need to disappoint you. Going by the photo I'd suggest a < 5%
chance that the top two birds are Little Eagles. The long round pale
tail is a diagnostic difference and supported by the overall even pale
fawn colour and the head shape are all indicative of them being
Whistling Kites. The lower bird, yes I'd give it a > 80% chance based on
the photo of being a Little Eagle.

I haven't known a magpie to be that tolerant of Little Eagles either.