canberrabirds

Wallaby in suburb.

To: "'Brett Howland'" <>
Subject: Wallaby in suburb.
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 21:23:34 +1100

Hi Brett,

Thanks for your comment but my recollection is that I meant what I wrote. I regard the two names as equally “correct” (whatever that is) alternates. The collection of 6 books I have just consulted, are likewise split, indeed the Menkhorst / Knight book (the most recent such book) calls it Black Wallaby. I am pleased to observe that you were so unerring in making the connection, as indeed were other correspondents. Therefore I can remain fairly confident that most or all interested readers were equally adept at not being confused as to what species I was describing.

To comment further on observations, last year there was one dead Wallabia bicolor on the road on State Circle just to the west of Parliament House near the British High Commission. (I saw the body there whilst a bus passenger going into the city over a period of a week or so until it was taken away or mashed by traffic).

From: Brett Howland []
Sent
:
Wednesday, 25 February 2009 9:19 AM