canberrabirds

Myna thuggery

To: <>
Subject: Myna thuggery
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 12:30:41 +1100
Without saying what others should think about this, I shall offer what I
think.  I do not subscribe to the demonization of the C Myna.  They are
successful inhabitants of the built environment; it has been said they do
not occur out of sight of human habitation.  Most birds in the suburbs are
here because they have adapted to the suburbs, some very successfully,
perhaps having exploded as a result of European alteration of the wider
environment (ie much of Australia), like Galahs, magpies, magpie-larks and
Crested Pigeons.   Goshawks and sparrowhawks also prosper in this artificial
environment because of the abundance of easy targets, whether introductions
or new artificial-habitat-exploiters (in particular Crested Pigeons).  Of
course in this suburban zoo different species that would never interact in
the ('natural') wild press upon one another, hence, eg the annual cleaning
out of blackbird nests by nesting P Currawongs, and screeching competition
for hollows by the exotic-seed-raised abundance of hollow-nesters.  See
heroes, villains and victims in these interactions if you wish.

I recall a BASNA seminar a few years ago where one researcher demonstrated
that the Noisy Miner was a greater threat to small birds than the C Myna.  I
believe this has been linked to health of the woodlands.  Indeed, there is a
project on the south Coast aimed at reducing Bell Miner concentrations for
that reason.