canberrabirds

Little Lorikeets

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Little Lorikeets
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 17:36:33 +1100
Went to Acacia Inlet early today to look for Little Lorikeets before the sun began to bite. Cast about for 20 minutes to no avail. Some highlights: A male Grey Shrike-thrush singing its mating song. Almost as good as listening to my new Dixie Chicks CD. At least three more were in the vicinity. A charm of eight European Goldfinches including five immatures. An alabaster sculpture in the shallows morphed into a Great Egret as I approached.

A mature-age hippie came by wearing a St Vinnies Boutique T-shirt that read Soledad Prison, probably his alma mater. "Good morning," he chirped, "are you a birdwatcher?" Just what I didn't need.

"Yeah,"  I said sans enthusiasm.

"Oh, good. Have you seen the Little Lorikeets?"

"The what? Where?!

"Down there."

"Down damn where?"

He patiently directed me to a scrawny Eucalypt right on the water's edge, within 8m of the old earthen boat ramp. Five minutes later I located three L'il L'keets in the upper branches, one was scrambling about in the foliage, the others sat still. They were still present when I left after ten minutes.

To roughly paraphrase the Cinderella character in Slaughter House 5, "Alackaday and bless my bless my luck." Fancy a John Lennon reincarnate knowing about L'il L'keets.

John Layton.