canberrabirds

Non-birding at the Coast

To: <>
Subject: Non-birding at the Coast
From: "Rod's Gardening" <>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 01:15:59 +1100
I witnessed an amazing sight when I went walking Sun morning on one of my favourite birding tracks at Durras.  Surprisingly few birds, but at one point just off the track there's a soak (which is rapidly drying out due to summer heat and lack of heavy rain and now measures approx 3 X 2 metres).  It contains a jumble of logs, some blackened by bushfires, which when wet can have a remarkably glistening snakelike appearance.  On several previous occasions I have mistaken these logs for reptiles, then found when checking with the binoculars I had overlooked a real Red-bellied Black Snake.

On Sunday I detected the real Red-bellied Black straight away - and it was much more active than on previous occasions.  It slithered into the remaining water, probably no more than 30cms deep (I didn't actually check!) submerging repeatedly then raising its head with forked tongue flicking, fascinating to watch & making me wish I had my video or at least a camera.  Then suddenly the apparent tranquillity was shattered as all hell broke loose.  Brilliant red and glossy black coils flashed as the snake writhed and wrestled with something, but what?  Just as I saw a  grey/brown body the snake lost its grip and I realised the prey was an eel which quickly slid below the surface.  More fruitless pursuit by the snake followed, after which it became motionless, with its head and about 20cms of its body raised in what I would think was a classic strike position.  It remained that way for probably five minutes.  Then in some debris on the edge of the water behind the snake there was a slight movement - detected by the snake - and this time there was no mistake as it grabbed its victim by the head.  The evidence of the first strike was clearly visible & I presume the venom was taking effect as the struggles grew weaker and were soon over.  Then it was dinner time as the snake proceeded to swallow its prey head first and whole (as snakes do).

My impression was that the RBBS was a very healthy specimen about 6 feet long and almost as thick as my wrist while the eel was about 40 cms.  The whole episode, viewed from a distance of about 10 metres thru binoculars, took about 30 - 40 fascinating minutes.

Cheers

Rod

Rod Mackay
Tel.  0407 456 330