canberrabirds

Re: Fw: [canberrabirds] SHIELD BUGS ON LEMON TREE

To: "Bruce Lindenmayer" <>, "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: Re: Fw: [canberrabirds] SHIELD BUGS ON LEMON TREE
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 15:21:10 +1100
Sorry to prolong discussion of a non-bird topic ? delete now if you?re not
interested!

I had been wondering what these bugs were as I had not seen any public email
naming them, so good that you forwarded Elizabeth?s email, Bruce.  I still
wanted to know more about these Bronze Orange Bugs, particularly whether they
are native, so I did a bit of ?googling? and it seems they are a species of
stink bug native to eastern Australia.  The following links provide some info
on the species:

http://www.brisbaneinsects.com/brisbane_stinkbugs/BronzeOrangeBugs.htm

http://www.environment.gov.au/cgi-bin/abrs/fauna/details.pl?pstrVol=PENTATOMOMORPHA;pstrTaxa=4026;pstrChecklistMode=2

Personally, I would NOT use a chemical like Confidor which kills bees and
should not be allowed to enter drains and waterways (presumably because it is
toxic to fish).  See
http://www.yates.com.au/products/pest-control/insects-concentrates/bayer-confidor-garden-insecticide-sachets/

I find that spraying soapy water and garlic is often sufficient, but Pyrethrum
or white oil work very well for pretty much any plant-sucking bug, and are much
more environmentally friendly than using chemicals.  The following links offer
eco-friendly solutions for Bronze Orange Bugs:

http://www.greenharvest.com.au/pestcontrol/bronze_orange_bug_intro.html

http://www.safersolutions.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=254&Itemid=171
 (although I?m not sure I?d recommend vacuuming if you value your vacuum!)

Regards
Frank Antram