canberrabirds

a good start to 2009

To: "'Sharon Rusk'" <>, <>
Subject: a good start to 2009
From: "Barbara Allan" <>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 15:15:35 +1100

I must say, Bob, I gave some thought to that possibility. The young koels I’ve seen down the coast were never close enough for such a good view and all the females I’ve seen to date have had distinctly black caps. So when we came back from our walk I rushed straight to HANZAB to check. But unless my memory fails me completely (not to be ruled out!) the bird I saw had no buffy white cap and was distinctly and neatly spotty, unlike the juveniles depicted in HANZAB. In any event a male koel is still around. He chorused briefly from a neighbour’s gum in Carron Street during the 1pm news, his red eye glaring all the while. b