canberrabirds

domesticated wattlebird?

To: "Overs, Anthony \(REPS\)" <>, "Suzanne Edgar" <>, "Graham Wright" <>, <>
Subject: domesticated wattlebird?
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 23:53:37 +1100
Certainly not a domesticated wattlebird. As domestication is a long process over many generations. However it is not common and is a first I have heard of. However some options:

1    It is likely to be a tame bird that has been hand raised.
2    White-eared Honeyeaters (and maybe other Honeyeaters) are known to alight on heads / backs etc of horses, koalas, possums, people and try and pull tufts of hair out, when building their nest. It could just maybe an example of this.
3    I have certainly known wild Noisy Miners to perch on people (yapping) where the noise is quite annoying. This happened to me and Robert Drummond at Hattah Lakes NP in 1974.