canberrabirds

Courting Satin Bowerbirds in Kambah

To: <>
Subject: Courting Satin Bowerbirds in Kambah
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 00:36:38 +1100
I had thought that the Satin Bowerbirds had mostly left the vicinity of my GBS site in Kambah about a month ago. However at about 8 p.m. tonight (well, Saturday) a big noise from one just outside my study window had me looking out there. An all blue SBB making much more variety of noises than the usual whirls and whistles that the young ones do, was dancing (side to side jumping around and posturing) in front of a somewhat possibly interested (I assume) female. He was displaying almost as though he had a bower there but of course he doesn't. I have had very few prior obs of blue birds here (and never one in intermediate (ie patchwork transitional stage).