canberrabirds

Mugga Zoo site as nature reserve?

To: <>
Subject: Mugga Zoo site as nature reserve?
From: "Jenny Bounds" <>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 09:33:49 +1100
Greetings all: Ive noted the comments various people have made about this being added to the nature park. Im personally sympathetic, but its not a simple matter.

I saw the for sale sign myself on the weekend and phoned the sales agent to get more info. I understand this site of around 10 hectares is zoned Broadacre and has a 99 year lease; this lease was apparently granted in 2005. Broadacre has a number of permissible uses, but would require approval of the planning authority. It is also re-generating Yellow Box/Red Gum woodland and it would probably require an EPBC Act referral/assessment for any development which impacted on the woodland, so there are a few hurdles/contraints in terms of any future development/use. There are also issues of cost to Government in a time of budget difficulties, and management of the area if it went into the nature park. There are not enough Govt resources to manage the adjacent nature reserve (especially weeds), let alone another 10 hectares which has a lot of woody weeds.

Im planning to discuss with a few contacts, before we (COG) decide on a response.
cheers
Jenny