canberrabirds

Reporting Koels - why?

To: "'COG List'" <>
Subject: Reporting Koels - why?
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 20:18:06 +1100

Exactly.  But this is an issue with many other species.  At the moment, the spoonbills are equally  over-reported by the ‘me-too’ school.  The antics of these are definitely of interest, but with such species a summarised series of observations made over time (rather than hour by hour, or even day by day) would be much more useful.

To get back to the koels, a recurrent issue (over 2-3 years) is the reason for their increased presence.  My guess is that it is the fruit (see previous messages).  Another possibility is the number of potentially-hosting nesting Red Wattlebirds, as Peter and Anthony have suggested – but surely these have been around for many years.  I do not think we have had a single confirmed breeding event.  Indeed there have been relatively few reports of females, perhaps about 1 in 10 reports.  May I suggest that people be encouraged to report any sign of breeding activity?  It may be (just a guess) that in the absence of such Canberra is an outpost being colonised by young hopefully-breeding ingénues, being driven on by the frantic  breeding activity to our east.