canberrabirds

Stoney Creek Nature Reserve - beware the Brown Goshawk

Subject: Stoney Creek Nature Reserve - beware the Brown Goshawk
From: "Simon King" <>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 22:51:56 +1200
I went out to Uriarra Crossing today (1st time I've been there). Ended up in the Uriarra East picnic area (Frogmouths in the Casurinas) and wandered upstream and found myself in the Stony Creek Nature Reserve. On the way back downstream about 200m before the reserve sign, what I reckon was a Brown Goshawk landed on top of a big Casurina in front of me and started up a call (once again what I know now as probably an alarm call).  After watching it for a bit I wandered off, passing underneath the tree it was in, happy I'd seen a some kind of raptor and eager to check the book to see what it was. The next thing I know there this rush of wind and mass of feathers in my vision as it swooped me from behind,  scared the life out of me!. It landed in a tree and then took off after me again but I was hopping out of there as quick as I could, it followed me along the track flying from tree to tree for quite some way and had a few more dives at me before it gave up. Looks quite menacing in full frontal profile with its yellow eyes locked onto you. Good views of the barred underbelly though when its a couple of feet away from your head. I also saw another one take off from a tree near it with what looked to be a rabbit in its talons.

Simon