canberrabirds

What magpies eat

To: <>
Subject: What magpies eat
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 10:44:04 +1000

I have previously mentioned my practice of feeding the local pair of nesting magpies with pieces of ‘steakette’ from Hawke’s Butchery at the Fishwyck markets.  Frequently when one of the pair comes strutting up for its steakette miniportion it will carry a previously collected prey item that it drops at my feet.  Whether this is intended as exchange or as a demonstration of the poverty of the immediate foraging area in suitable tucker for young maggies I do not know.  This morning the discarded item was a small spider which I offer for the spider expert to identify.  Perhaps the Common Tablelands Brown?  Its only distinctive feature was the pattern under the abdomen.

a spider.jpg