canberrabirds

richard thomas and ringed plovers

To: birds birds <>
Subject: richard thomas and ringed plovers
From: Elizabeth Compston <>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 12:35:23 +1000

I have just returned from overseas and while in Britain I contacted Richard Thomas who some of you know. He asked to be remembered to those bird watchers that he knew when he was here, especially mentioning Bruce Lindenmeyer.

Richard took me to an area near Cambridge which he surveys regularly, old gravel pits are being filled with water and there is a long term plan to create reserve for birds. Ringed plovers were among the birds that I saw there. They are unmistakable and had I seen one before our possible sighting at Mystery Bay a couple of years ago, I would have been able to make a better identification. But with little knowledge and no camera---! I still think that we did see a ringed plover, but accept the decision by the rareties panel. I was not able to give them a good enough description, not knowing initially how rare the bird was in southern Australia; and it was gone next day. But I will know it if I ever see it again

It was great to have Richard take me out, from 7--9pm--wonderful those long mild evenings.

Elizabeth