canberrabirds

Swift Parrots at Newline and Campbell Park

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Swift Parrots at Newline and Campbell Park
From: "Jenny Bounds" <>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 13:53:06 +1000
While doing a rekky about 11.30 this morning with Jack Holland for a COG bus trip, I heard and then we saw 2 adult Swift Parrots at Newline.  Front paddock, in the area where there is Red Box, up near the dam and to the right of the dam.  At times, they were being harrassed by honeyeaters, of which there are still quite a few Fuscous, White-plumed, White-naped and Yellow-faced around.  One honeyeater conveniently chased and flushed them into the open for us and they sat on a dead tree.  The Red Box is budded up and some is flowering, and the Swifts were in the Red Box trees feeding.  They were doing their short sharp contact type call intermittently, which can be easily missed with lots of  honeyeater activity/calling.

Earlier, I also heard very briefly (one call) a Swift Parrot in the area around the carpark at Campbell Park (adjacent to the woodland, where COGites usually park).  We did not see a bird though and it did not call again, so may have been flying thru.

Would be a good idea to target any areas in the Majura/Ainslie woodland complex where Red Box is starting to flower.

cheers
Jenny