canberrabirds

Hooded Robins galore

Subject: Hooded Robins galore
From: Con Boekel <>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 18:12:27 +1000
Julian and Martin
I was very heartened to read your report of good numbers of Hooded Robins (mixed with other robins - yet another combination for the MFFs?) and (separately) Brown Treecreepers. It is a sobering thought that I have visited over 60 COG AOI grid cells this FY and have seen Hooded Robins only at Mulligan's Flat. ( I have not been to Angle Crossing.) It would be very interesting to know where the Hooded Robins at Googong came from - maybe they do move around in MFFs during Winter, rather than staying in one area? Looking at the map, the four Treecreepers were in approximately the same area in which I saw one Brown Treecreeper on my last walk there. Googong Foreshores appears to be a hot spot. While I can't be sure, I believe that several birds that I believed to be Chestnut-rumped Heathwrens at Googong made a scolding call as they moved slowly away through thick undergrowth. I could not confirm what they were because of the thick undergrowth and I am not yet confident enough to identify them on the basis of their calls. Nicki Taws has written that during the breeding season, perhaps starting in August, the males do a lot of calling, including good mimicry, and are a bit easier to get close to. Thanks also for the map and the markers - makes it very easy to locate the spots.
Con