canberrabirds

Erindale Drive Wedgetails

Subject: Erindale Drive Wedgetails
From: David McDonald <>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 11:08:25 +1000
Please note that Canberra City Rangers operate a 24/7 sharps pick-up and disposal service. When you see inappropriately-disposed-of syringes in public places, please call them on 13 22 81 (the Sharps Hotline) and they'll do the rest.
David

Alberta Hayes wrote:
Hey all, I thought that it might have been too cold for everyone and no-one had been outside to see any birds! I was starting to think the list was predominantly ex- Queenslanders!! My aunt told me a couple of weeks ago that the Wedge-Tailed Eagle nest on Erindale Drive had fallen down. I was heading up to Wanniassa on Monday and decided to check it out. I walked along the road and couldn't see the nest. For some reason I kept walking until I was at the Long Gully Road turn off and looked out at the Pines only to see 2 Wedgies flying between 2 trees. They caught a thermal and rose up circling along the road. I decided to follow them as far as I could and ran down the left-hand side of the road. The eagles went back towards Wanniassa Hills and due to not knowing the fences well I couldn't follow them further. I was about half-way down Long Gully road. I found about 100 WW choughs just off the road though! And about 50 VERY green silvereyes, much greener than the ones we get in our yard. If you are going to walk along Erindale Drive for whatever reason be careful of syringes that are strewn about the place. Not many are covered so very thick shoes are recommended. Alberta Hayes Monash.