canberrabirds

migratory birds - I dont understand

To: <>
Subject: migratory birds - I dont understand
From: "Lindsay & Diana Nothrop" <>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 11:30:48 +1000
The colder weather leads me to less twitching and more philosophy.  In that vein of thought by the fireside, I noticed an article in last Saturday's Canberra Times (page B3)  lamenting the decline in migratory birds in Europe.  This follows Prof Richard Kingsford's recent similar lament over rapidly declining numbers in Australia.  The CT article postulated that this was leading towards extinctions (and so we should all feel terribly guilty and will sorely miss our Latham's Snipe).

The decline in migratory bird numbers of course is due to a convergence of Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign, the Taliban resurgence and a rock star for an Environment Minister as we all know - and possibly climate change as well.

What I tripped over though was the statement that ".. after millions of years as one of the most spectacular shows in the natural world, the Afro-European bird migration system is going fundamentally wrong".

"Millions of years" ???   The last ice age ended just 8000 to 10 000 years ago.  Northern America and Europe were covered a mile deep in ice and the rest of the UK was a barren wasteland devoid of all fauna and flora according to a web article.  All life forms in the UK arrived in extremely recent times geologically speaking.

There was no bird migration to northern summers then.  With all life confined closer to the equator, there would have been little seasonal effects.  So what happened?  Why are all long-distance migratory birds not extinct already?

Did the birds put their migratory desires on ice for a few thousand years? - I think not.  Did the migratory habits evolve since the ice age? - I think not as the time is far too short in evolutionary terms.    Did they just adapt and if so why cant they do it again but for different reasons?

Is there another explanation?

Lindsay Nothrop