canberrabirds

Ravens outfox Red Dog and, in turn, are outfoxed

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Ravens outfox Red Dog and, in turn, are outfoxed
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 00:14:44 +1000
I sat in the sun at Lake Ginninderra this arvo critiquing the draft of a 2000 word essay Younger Brat has to hand in next week. As usual, this led to some challenging and, at times, heated after-dinner discussion but, as always, we had fun!

While I was at the lake, a couple tied their Red Setter dog to a nearby picnic table, left it a bowl of food and a bowl of water, and went off for jog. Red Dog lay down and napped. Five minutes later an Australian Raven landed before R.D. and made little quok-quok noises. R.D. sprang to his feet, surging and barking at the end of his end of his leash, while the raven hopped back and forth two metres out of his reach. Fifteen seconds later another raven landed behind R.D., stole a piece of food from his bowl and left as the first raven repaired to a nearby tree. R.D. lay down and resumed his nap.

Ten minutes later, the same scene unfolded again. Fast-forward another ten minutes and a third repeat hits the screen. Only this time, there's a twist to the plot. R.D. seemed to discern what was happening just aft of his nether regions, turned and surged towards the sable raider at his food bowl, but the slick bird absconded with another helping of his tucker.

Then a little light bulb of intelligence clicked on above R.D.'s head. He addressed his food bowl and wolfed down the entire contents. And, with all that dehydrated dog chow in his tummy, he turned to his water bowl. But, alas, during the excitement, he'd overturned it. He sat on his haunches and whined. I went over, took his bowl, filled it at a tap and placed it be before him. He wagged his tail, drank and resumed his nap.

Cut to Scene # 4: a raven wafted down and stood before the snoozing pooch but remained mute as it circled around behind him, peeked into his food bowl but, finding the cupboard bare, decamped. I put Samantha's fine essay aside and copied down my observations.

Twenty minutes later, the joggers returned and hugged their dog. "Oh, Captain!" I heard them chirp. "Oh, you good thing, and you've eaten all your food too. Come on, boy, we'll go home now." They poked Captain into their little car and sped off, completely unaware of the intriguing scenes that had graced the screen during their absence.

John Layton.