canberrabirds

Late swan breeding?

To: "Paul Joice" <>, "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: Late swan breeding?
From: "Bruce Lindenmayer" <>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 16:10:50 +1000
Last weekend I reported the swan to a wildlife carer, who came. We tried for > 1 hour, unsuccessfully, to catch the bird with bread and a rope. I subsequently spoke to Wayne Braithwaite who caught some thousands when studying them decades ago, and passed on his advice. viz. Needs a fast boat, long pole and noose. & recommended the carer / RSPCA seek help from the Water Police.

On reports, the bird has survived for at least 3 wks with the hook and seemed to be moving and foraging OK.

Bruce