canberrabirds

Iron Range banding trip

To: <>
Subject: Iron Range banding trip
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 15:15:21 +1000

Good afternoon all,

For all those persons that have expressed an interest in coming to Iron Range in November for the banding week that will be held there, NOW is the time to decide one way or the other. I have received notice from the organiser that to satisfy Qld National Park regulations I/we need the following information:-

●The number of people participating and their names and addresses, ● type of vehicle and its registration number (if hiring a vehicle this could be tricky but not necessarily a problem), ● if you have a banding licence and number (A or C class), don’t worry, it is not an essential requirement, all are welcome, and ● if you intend to fly to Lockhart River, which is about 10 km from our campsite, in which case you will need to be picked up at the Lockhart River airport. Please note the service is popular with the Aboriginal community at Lockhart River and will need to be booked well in advance to get you a seat. We CANNOT guarantee a pickup and you can take very little gear on the plane. DON”T rely on getting food at Lockhart River as the last time I was there the store looked like something you see in Zimbabwe, i.e. the shelves were virtually empty!! Fuel should be available at Lockhart River. Water should be available at the ranger’s HQ and there will be a camping fee. As I have said in the past, I am not organising individuals; it is up to people to make their own arrangements to get to Iron Range. Once there we can show you what we catch or tell you where to go (politely, of course) looking. I can also give clues on birding sites driving up from Canberra or on the way back. If people are concerned about driving in to IR by themselves I can arrange a meeting point so that we can travel in convoy. A standard CB radio could be handy in a situation such as this – you can buy hand-held CBs that can be recharged from a car cigarette lighter.

I/we need this information BEFORE June 1st. I will be at the COG meeting tonight (Wed April 9) if people want to talk to me about the trip but I want all the information sent to me via email or in a letter please, my memory isn’t that good when it comes to remembering everything people tell me. My home address is 81 Maribyrnong Avenue, Kaleen, ACT, 2617 and my home phone number is (02) 62413620. We will keep you informed of developments.

Thanks in advance,

Mark