canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] Currawongs and other errors

To: <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] Currawongs and other errors
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 15:46:27 +1000

I seem to slipping into errors lately

(1)    Re the below, it is of course ‘Its’.

(2)    Re a couple of weeks ago, it is of course John LEONARD (sorry John)

(3)    RE Michael’s message about the currawongs, I’m afraid I checked no references but assumed from my undocumented observations that double-brooding was going on.  Over the last few years on 3 occasions I had seen new late young in the same nest that had had new young several weeks before, something that is consistent with renesting after failure.  First nestlings in January do seem pretty late.   I note the HANZAB entry that ‘in Canberra raise only one brood each year’, so the onus is on anyone suggesting the contrary to have solid evidence, which I do not have.  However as the amount of nesting in the suburbs is a relatively new development, it may be that the ready availability of food has caused a change in the pattern.  I’ll note the local currawong nests more carefully in future.