canberrabirds

Currawong Highway

To: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>, <>
Subject: Currawong Highway
From: "Jack and Andrea Holland" <>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 17:22:50 +1100
Geoffrey, very interesting, do you know where they roost?

The reason I ask is that Pied Currawongs used to pass over my place in Chapman during the mid autumn to early spring period in large numbers, sometimes up to 200 birds and often over a short say 15 minute period.  They used to fly W very noisily towards Woden/Mt Taylor in the morning shortly after or even before sunrise, and return late afternoon, usually a bit more strung out.  One time I checked and found them coming out of the former pine forest at Narrabundah Hill as it was only just getting light.

Since the fires in January 2003 this phenomenon seems to have completely gone, indeed it had already diminished significantly for a few years before that when they seemed to take a more northerly path through Rivett.

The very noticeable roost flight of the Australian King Parrot to the same pine forest/Mt Stromlo, particularly in winter, also no longer occurs.

Jack Holland