canberrabirds

Currawong Highway

To: canberrabirds chatline <>
Subject: Currawong Highway
From: Julian Robinson <>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 11:41:55 +1100
Mid-afternoon on 12Sep2006 I saw a large flock of Currawongs at Wanniassa Hills - at the time I said "at least 100" but there could easily have been double that or more as they were moving so fast over large areas some of which I couldn't see and many were sitting in trees.  They were feasting on a swarm of airborne insects - awkwardly hawking.  Currawongs are pretty big to manoeuvre for small insects and there were some spectacular aerobatics involved that I've not seen by a Currawong before or since.  The insects never landed so I don't know what they were.  I was surprised at the Currawong numbers and wondered then where they came from.  They were present for at least an hour until I left.

Wanniassa Hills is on the extended route described by Jack - Chapman/Rivett > Mt Taylor > Wanniassa Hills and is not far from Geoffrey's Narrabundah, but this was 2006 and not a morning/evening transport meetup. Possibly this flock aggregated specifically for the insects, organised by the long-distance communication mentioned.

Re roosting - one time last year at dusk the entire slopes of Mt Majura seemed to be occupied by Currawongs - we didn't see any other species and again there must have been at least 100 and possibly more.  I thought they were settling in to roost although they were still moving around when it got too dark and we left.

The attached photo is a composite but pretty well reflects a small portion of the scene on the feast day.  What you can't see is many birds on the ground and in trees, apparently resting.  There was very little calling this day, almost none - probably too busy, or too knackered.

Julian