canberrabirds

Sines of the times

To: "canberra birds" <>
Subject: Sines of the times
From: "martin butterfield" <>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 11:01:17 +1100
This morning I got a couple of angles, somewhat tangentially, of the season.

The first was when passing our top dam a family of 4 grey teal were
present.  Two, one adult and one smaller (= juvenile) bird took off,
with junior doing so very awkwardly.  The other two stayed on the dam
and got rather agitated as we approached.  The adult commenced a
broken limb flapping display wile the juvenile dived.  I am going to
breeding record in the general area of the dam.

Seconndly I noticed that the willows by Whiskers Creek are really
dropping their leaves and those on our pin-oak are beginning to
change.  Possibly a reaction to the low rainfall over the past 4 weeks
as well as dropping temperature last week and declining daylength.

Third was a flock of 6 Yellow-faced Honeyeaters flying determinedly
East over our house, chipping constantly.  It looked ratherlike a
small migrating flock.

I suspect that if we are not yet fully at Autumn (meteorologically
rather than by the calendar) it can be seen from here.

Martin