canberrabirds

Around Canberra on Sunday [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

To: "Jerry Bishop" <>, "'COG-L'" <>, "'martin butterfield'" <>
Subject: Around Canberra on Sunday [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 08:39:40 +1100
In Gungahlin we have more than enough sparrows. Maybe they have all moved
from the inner north/Belconnen to the newer suburbs in Gungahlin. Over the
summer we have a large flock of over 20 birds in the neighbourhood. Like
John's posting they do seem scarce or disappear through winter but return
for the warmer months and breed in our neighbours roof. The recently
fledged spending some time in our backyard in late summer.

Marnix Zwankhuizen
Senior Analyst/Programmer
Java Enterprise Technology
IT Branch
Australian Electoral Commission

Ph:   02 6271 4465
Fax: 02 6271 4644
Email:

             "Jerry Bishop"
             <
             et.com.au>                                                 To
                                          "'martin butterfield'"
             03/03/2008 04:37             <>,
             PM                           "'COG-L'"
                                          <
                                          .au>
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                          RE: [canberrabirds] Around
                                          Canberra on Sunday

Martin,

I too have noted the lack of House Sparrows and have been remarking on it
to those who might be interested in such things for over a year now.  About
the only places that seem to guarantee a sighting are the upper deck of the
Belconnen Mall car park and the immediate vicinity of the visitor’s book at
the Fyshwick Treatment Works.

They were common in my neighbourhood (lower Flynn) until the dreaded Common
(Indian) Myna invasion which started about three years ago.  The two appear
to compete for nesting spaces.

Jerry Bishop

DISCLAIMER:
If you have received this transmission in error please notify us immediately on
(02) 6271 4777 or by return email and delete all copies.  If this email or any
attachments have been sent to you in error, that error does not constitute
waiver of any confidentiality, privilege or copyright in respect of information
in the email or attachments.