canberrabirds

Thoughts on C&B2

To: "Ian Fraser" <>
Subject: Thoughts on C&B2
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 22:17:27 +1100
Thanks, Ian,

However, I hope it does not come as a surprise to you that I am actually very well aware of that rule on nomenclature. I will admit that I have not actually seen the original designation of that name. However, something like 20 years ago, I asked Dick Schodde about this particular thing and he said to me that he had seen the original designation of that name and he assured me in his usual authoritative manner that it was given as cirrocephalus. I believed this at the time and since. I sure hope I did not miss hear him or that he missed my question. This was as I expected because it was my observation that the older books mostly use cirrocephalus, whereas cirrhocephalus mostly came into general use in books published after about 1980. I expected that someone made an error and then was copied by other authors. Now I took his advice on face value and have been raising the question at various times since then.

What I am not sure about is if the name is spelled one way, say in the title of a original designation of a species and another way(s) (simply by virtue or a typing mistake, either way, even several times) in the text of the same article, then which one is correct.