canberrabirds

Rainbow Bee-eaters and a Burrow Duck

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Rainbow Bee-eaters and a Burrow Duck
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 22:04:20 +1100
Sunday morning, on a property near Wagga, I watched at least 15 Rainbow Bee-eaters perching on and hawking from dead branches of a River Redgum. Maybe a pre-migratory marshalling? It was 7:30AM and the sun was still climbing so the rainbow birds' colours were beautifully highlighted. Words from Glen Campbell's Galveston came to mind:

and watch her sea birds flashin' in the sun

Yes, they're not sea birds, but the words have long been with me since I first heard the song back in 1969 in a strange, faraway place.

Walked past a warren looking for rabbits, but no bunnies were abroad. Then I saw a little head poking out of a burrow, followed by a longish neck. Before I could say, "Joe Blake!" the rest of the critter emerged, scuttled forward and took wing. It was a Pacific Black Duck. I watched for some minutes, but no more quackers came forth. Knelt at the burrow entrance and listened a while but all was quiet. I haven't checked any references yet but can't recall anything about Pacific Black Ducks going underground. However, I seem to remember hearing/reading of Grey Teal nesting in burrows. Incidentally, the warren was about 300m from the Murrumbidgee River.

John Layton