canberrabirds

Thoughts on C&B2

To: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Subject: Thoughts on C&B2
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 17:55:53 +1100
I am quite comfortable with the "hyphening adventure" but if they use ?Glossy Black-Cockatoo? it is quite dumb to not have it under ?Black-Cockatoo? in the index and put it under ?Cockatoo,  Glossy Black?. Is there the same silliness for BFCS under "Shrike, Black-faced Cuckoo". Indeed "Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike" becomes hard to understand without the hyphens.

I wonder how well known is the problem of the name ?King-Parrot?. I wonder have you made efforts to highlight this. You have explained it to me and I did not know from elsewhere that it should be King's Parrot.

I also wonder have they corrected the dopey oft repeated miss-spelling of the species name of the Collared Sparrowhawk, (with the extra wrong h in it -cirrhocephalus should be cirrocephalus).

I like the name Maned Duck.