canberrabirds

Warks Rd-Bendora Dam 6/01/08 [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Subject: Warks Rd-Bendora Dam 6/01/08 [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 10:31:00 +1100
I headed up to the brindies yesterday afternoon to do some birding and to
try to escape some of the heat. I have found the birding late
afternoon/evening up in the ranges as rewarding as early morning in most
ways. A pair of WEDGE-TAILED EAGLES by Mt McDonald was a good omen.

On the drive in along Warks Rd I picked up the usual pipits plus SACRED
KINGFISHER and DUSKY WOODSWALLOW. After reaching the national park gate I
found plenty of SATIN FLYCATCHERS. On the return drive around 7pm I also
picked up EASTERN WHIPBIRD. The bird was at the first sharp bend some way
up the ridge. Other birds included RUFOUS FANTAIL, SATIN BOWERBIRD, EASTERN
YELLOW ROBIN, CICADABIRD (heard), GANG-GANG COCKATOO, FAN-TAILED CUCKOO,
GREY CURRAWONG and COLLARED SPARROWHAWK as well as nice examples of a
Red-bellied Black Snake and a Water Dragon.

I followed Warks Rd all the way to the intersection with Bendora Rd,
briefly detouring up Old Mill Rd and back, and then drove along Bendora Rd
to Bendora Dam. This was the first time I had been down this road since
before the 2003 fires. There was some nice vegetation and some great spots
by the Cotter River where I picked up another RUFOUS FANTAIL and BRUSH
CUCKOO (heard) as well as a WONGA PIGEON which I flushed as I was driving
back. Bendora Dam itself seemed almost full of water but there were no
waterbirds around of any kind. The dam is a 400 m stroll from the car park.
If I had more time I would have liked to hike down the fire trail which
leads down to the Cotter River below the dam wall.

Cheers

Marnix Zwankhuizen
Senior Analyst/Programmer
Java Enterprise Technology
IT Branch
Australian Electoral Commission

Ph:   02 6271 4465
Fax: 02 6271 4644
Email:

DISCLAIMER:
If you have received this transmission in error please notify us immediately on
(02) 6271 4777 or by return email and delete all copies.  If this email or any
attachments have been sent to you in error, that error does not constitute
waiver of any confidentiality, privilege or copyright in respect of information
in the email or attachments.