canberrabirds

Summer morn at Finch Central

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Summer morn at Finch Central
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 20:50:15 +1100
0600 today we went to see what the area known as Finch Central held in store on a summer morning. Stopped by the gate near Coppins Crossing and, immediately I switched off the motor, we heard Stubble Quail calling from a nearby paddock, but couldn't sight them.

Watched an immature Black-shouldered Kite as it shadowed an adult from perch to perch begging continually. But, as far as we could see, despite its persistent puling, it went sans sustenance.

Other highlights: Brown Songlark perched mutely on a fence, ~ 12 European Goldfinches including five immatures, pair of Australian Pipits, a group of seven Masked Lapwings. Sadly, a dead Little Pied Cormorant swinging to and fro in the breeze as it hung from a willow branch, suspended by a length of fishing line attached to its foot. Two Pacific Black Ducks perched in a Blakely's Redgum. In a half-dead Sweet Briar, five Southern Whitefaces.

About twenty rabbits including one bright bunny sporting a ginger and white pelt. Good target for a raptor, we thought. Scarcely was the thought aired than a shadow skimed across the dewy grass and the buns went to ground as one while a Whistling Kite went hungry. During ensuing minutes we watched the kite as it glided and flapped in the near distance. It seemed to be searching for an updraft but, at this early hour, Father Sun hadn't warmed Mother Earth sufficiently to furnish the required thermal phenomenon.

On the way back to the ute, the brats surged ahead of me as is their naughty wont. Suddenly, a greyish goanna – about 1.5m long and most likely Rosenberg's Goanna Varanus rosenbergi  ambled menacingly across the track three metres in front of them. It probably wasn't yet up to full operational temperature. Immediately, and spontaneously, my dynamic duo repaired to the drag, seemingly content to let Pop assume the point.

John K. Layton