canberrabirds

Kelly Rd follow-up - Duskies and Brown Treecreepers

To: <>
Subject: Kelly Rd follow-up - Duskies and Brown Treecreepers
From: Julian Robinson <>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 15:16:26 +1100
I'd like to second Suzanne's vote of thanks to Jack for the excellent "outgoing President's walk" to his special corner.

I also returned there to follow the fortunes of the about-to-fledge Duskies and the Brown Treecreepers nesting. (Jack has a knack for these things... "We'll sit here for morning tea ... oh look, there's a pair of Brown Treecreepers nesting!" (right beside the morning tea spot)). Kelly Road is pretty impressive for birders, it's not often you can get great close views of two bush-bird species nesting without getting out of the car.

Those on the walk might like to see some pics of what did happen to the birds. Below is a couple of links but more can be found by navigating around flickr. I still have a bunch of photos to come of the behaviour that Stuart observed, of the Duskies ejecting and carrying off faecal sacks. (PS -- now included). The nestling behaviour was interesting - as far as I can make out nestlings can communicate (at least) 2 things to adults. When a carer came to the nest, the chicks signaled either or both:

- begging = feed me
- tail shimmy = I'm about to present you with a faecal sack so please get ready. You could see that when there was no tail shimmy the carer would depart immediately, but when one of the chicks shimmied, the carer would wait, sometimes for measurable time like a minute, just watching and waiting before manoeuvring to the back of the chick, or wait for the chick to turn around. Sometimes a chick would beg and shimmy simultaneously.

I watched the next day as one of the Duskies had fledged while the other remained still restricted to the nest, unhappily alone. Also noted camouflage behaviour when a Kestrel flew over -- following the alarm call by carers, the fledged Dusky and the one still in the nest instantly adopted a dead branch pose, looking like a miniature Tawny Frogmouths for a couple of minutes.

Brown Treecreeper showing wing pattern pointed out by Jack - http://flickr.com/photos/ozjulian/2092050135/ B Treecreeper passing food at nest - http://flickr.com/photos/ozjulian/2092049887/ The D Woodswallow nest with both chicks - http://flickr.com/photos/ozjulian/2085718961/
The last chick - http://flickr.com/photos/ozjulian/2090383235/
Chick in alarm posture - http://flickr.com/photos/ozjulian/2092049713/
First of a faecal sack sequence - http://flickr.com/photos/ozjulian/2105012748/
Pretty shot of preening - http://flickr.com/photos/ozjulian/2091114366/
Pretty shot of young D Firetail, showing exactly one diamond - http://flickr.com/photos/ozjulian/2092831496/

Happy Christmas and happy Christmas party everyone - unfortunately I won't be able to make it.

Julian