canberrabirds

White Ibis nesting high in trees.

To: "Denis Wilson" <>
Subject: White Ibis nesting high in trees.
From: "Marnix Zwankhuizen" <>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 15:25:26 +1100
Thanks to the report from Denis I popped out to have a look this morning.

I found at least 30 Australian White Ibis dispersed across a small area on both sides of the Federal Highway. There were over a dozen nests although more likely close to double that.

All the nests are best seen (& safer) from the Old Federal Hwy which runs parallel to the Federal Hwy. Turn off the Federal Hwy by the Tulip Farm by the Bungendore turnoff.

The ibis seem to be utilising old mistletoe clumps as nesting sites high in eucalypts which line the small creek - Brook's Ck. The ibis seem to disperse over a large area with birds seen this morning up around Eaglehawk, the Tulip Fm, etc.

I think the ibis may have bred here in previous years as I recall seeing this species on almost every drive down to the coast along Macs Reef Rd last summer, which I always found odd.

Cheers
Marnix