canberrabirds

Koel

To: <>
Subject: Koel
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 18:46:40 +1100

And to add further interest to this koely day, during the Landline program on ABC TV the audiotrack rang with the cries of koels.  The program concerned the transfer of the efforts of the Sikh community at Woolgoolga, near Coffs Harbour, from raising bananas to raising blueberries.   One wonders (a) whether the koel influx was due in any part to the abundance of blueberries (noting the regrettable omission by the interviewer to explore this obvious question) and (b) whether the Sikh community endorsed the threatened taxonomic revision that will split the local species from the familiar koel of their homeland.