canberrabirds

Ensemble of emus at Tidbinbilla

To: "Suzanne Edgar" <>, "Ray Drew" <>, <>
Subject: Ensemble of emus at Tidbinbilla
From: "Rod's Gardening" <>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 01:05:52 +1000
I can't match the ensemble of Emus at Tidbinbilla, but witnessed some behaviour involving birds and water that I found interesting.

Firstly, a beautiful male Satin Bowerbird visited our bird bath on Sunday.  After drinking, it proceeded to a full body immersion, ruffling its feathers while in the water, (practically doing backstroke) then moving to the edge and ruffling its feathers again.  It repeated the process at least six times at approx. 30 second intervals before flying off.

Then today I was working at a property with a swimming pool in Forest when I disturbed a Pacific Black Duck which had been concealed in poolside vegitation.   It simply dropped into the pool and proceeded to spend at least the next hour swimming contentedly and eating the plentiful Box Elder seed pods which were floating on the surface.  It also plucked insects periodically from the rock slabs overhanging the edges (its a lovely pool!).  The owner told me it had been around for a while and that last year there had been a pair behaving in the same fashion.  The pool had not yet been chlorinated for summertime use, so I guess when you're a duck water is water.  It made me wonder what is the incidence of wild ducks visiting suburban pools in similar fashion.

Cheers

Rod