canberrabirds

Corellas and night happenings in Callum Brae

To: <>
Subject: Corellas and night happenings in Callum Brae
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 20:02:09 +1000

The ibis roosting seems to be both a seasonal and a cyclical thing.  One year there were regularly 200+ birds in a single tree in the old ‘zoo’, a marginal and now-defunct tourist attraction excised from the CB rural lease.  (This might have been in the telephone chat days.)  Then they extended more into Callum Brae proper, and then began to degrade the upper limbs of the roost trees very seriously, creating some of the dead limbs now used as vantage points by Dollarbirds etc.   I suppose the numbers of ibis must depend on what food is available in local foraging grounds.  There were certainly large numbers of this notorious scavenger in the Mugga Lane tip at the same time as the roosting concentrations occurred.   I had assumed that current waste management practices had reduced that bonanza, but perhaps not.