canberrabirds

Has the White-fronted Honeyeater gone?

To: <>
Subject: Has the White-fronted Honeyeater gone?
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 15:51:26 +1000

As at now I have not seen or heard the White-fronted Honeyeater since Sunday. For any normal bird under two days of non sighting would not be unusual. However having seen it every day since 5 July up till 26 August and normally with little more than 5 minutes delay, not having seen/heard it since Sunday seems significant. As far as I know there was a 100% success rate of the about 55 observers who came to see it in that time period. It was changing its behaviour over the last few days and being here less. It was broadening its feeding methods and locations. I will keep a lookout for it though. Either way it has been a pleasant event. I'm thinking of where to send a write up of it to.

The likely change is: with getting warmer the Grevillea is full of bees who no doubt are removing most of the nectar. Curiously the White-plumed Honeyeaters, Eastern Spinebills, Grey Shrike-thrush, Golden Whistler & all or most of the Satin Bowerbirds seem to have gone also. Although none of these are unexpected changes as winter is ending.