canberrabirds

Emailing graphics and the 100kb limit.

Subject: Emailing graphics and the 100kb limit.
From: Julian Robinson <>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 13:06:43 +1000
It is not actually simple and I hope I can add some clarity to the problem of email sizes since it causes so much angst.

It is easily possible to manipulate images and save them to be quite small in terms of kilobytes (KB)  (that is the "size" as seen by an email program or the space it would take up in storage on a disk).  Unfortunately it is not so simple to ensure that they stay small when your email program sends them out into the ether.

The size of an image in KB is determined by two things -

1) most obviously, its dimensions (in terms of pixels x pixels which equates exactly to the size seen on the screen).  So a big image (all else being equal) is larger in KB than a smaller one, which is fairly intuitive.

2) less obviously, size in KB is determined by the amount of compression applied to the image.  All JPG images, which is what we are talking about, are compressed.  With suitable software you can select how compressed the image is.  Of course the more compressed you make it, the worse the visible quality.  Compression is chosen by photographers and others to be best compromise between quality and storage size.

The result is that you can have a large image (in dimensions) taking up the same size in KB as a dimensionally much smaller image, if the large file is more compressed than the small one.

eg these two which I am including to clarify discussion...  they are both the same size in KB - about 12.  (In fact the smaller one is slightly more KB than the larger.)  But the larger one has been highly compressed for the sake of the discussion and you can see compression artifacts, the wiggly lines around the bird.

11.5 KB, high compression low quality (Photoshop quality setting 10 out of 100)
[]

12.5KB, less compression and higher quality (Photoshop quality setting 50)
[]

To repeat, even though one image is a quarter the size of the other, they are both about the same size in KB.

This is fine, and it seems that people with the right software can select the required quality/compression and image size to best present the image without exceeding the 100KB limit allowed on this list.  Which is what I thought I did this morning.

I have done some research now, and tested the following theory after discussing with my tech support...

The problem is that when you EMBED images within the email such as I have done here (rather than attaching them), the jpg compression which is applied a second time to the image is chosen by the email program, not by you.  So this email you are reading, which has two roughly 12KB images in it and should therefore be about 35KB in total (see below), will actually reach you at much larger than that - about 120KB.  This is because my email program (Eudora) embedded my two carefully prepared images in some way known only to it. Outlook does the same.

[[[How the 37KB is derived:
11.5 = image 1
12.5 = image 2
2 = text
---------
26 KB total
PLUS an overhead of 30 or 40% required to convert the images to email format, say 26KB +35% = 35 KB.]]]

The point is ---

If you embed images "in-line" within your email, you have no control over the image size or the email size in KB.
If you attach them, you do have control, and the images will be transmitted with a resulting size about 35% larger than the size on your disk, and if you have the right software you can make sure that you adhere to any agreed limits.

The trouble is that embedding them is much neater and more user-friendly, so I have no final solution to offer since I prefer embedded images.  As Martin points out, there is a second problem with embedded images and that is that people can easily forget to remove the images from the quoted material when they reply, so the same images go round and round multiple times.

I hope this is reasonably clear.

Julian