canberrabirds

Emailing graphics and the 100kb limit.

To: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Subject: Emailing graphics and the 100kb limit.
From: "martin butterfield" <>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 11:56:47 +1000
Geoffrey
May I assure you that I am well behind you in the queue, despite being
of the  boomer persuasion.  A few thoughts from me.  Needless to say I
am not claiming to be without guilt in the sins being considered.

First up, one of the issues with including graphics in the text is
that if the email system automatically includes the previous text it
thus automatically includes the images.  I believe it is easier to set
systems not to include attachments so from a basis of minimising the
volume of transmissions I would suggest that attachments are to be
preferred to embedded images.

Progressing further down this track it would of course be good if
everyone considered whether they needed to include all the text of
every thread they reply to and edited out that which is not essential.

A second thought is the discussion group I subscribed to in New York
(where just about everyone was on really fast broadband with NO
download limits) did not allow attachments or embedded images at all.
If one wished to send an image (or some other attachment) to the group
one simply put it on a blog and sent round a hyperlink to the relevant
part of the blog.  Both Google and Yahoo provide free blogs that seem
to be quite simple to use.

Martin