canberrabirds

Crimson Rosellas and others

To: <>
Subject: Crimson Rosellas and others
From: "Rod's Gardening" <>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 20:05:57 +1000
Crimson Rosellas appear to be nesting on/under the Tuggeranong Parkway bridge which crosses the Molonglo River.  I saw a pair entering and leaving a narrow gap between the main structure and a metal plate where nesting material was also visible.  I notice the ACT Bird Atlas says Crimsons "have also bred in hollows in buildings, possibly as a response to a shortage of nest sites" so I guess this fits roughly within that category.

Other sightings while walking in the Stromlo/Coppins Crossing area in the last two days include Wedge-tailed Eagle, Black-shouldered Kite, Nankeen Kestrel, Common Bronzewing, Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo, Pied Currawong, 12 White-winged Choughs, several Grey Shrike-thrushes, Little Pied Cormorant, Great Cormorant, 2 pairs of Dusky Morehens, pair of Pacific Black Ducks, Double barred Finches, Pipit, Yellow-rumped Thornbills, White-browed Scrubwrens, & heaps of Superb Fairy Wrens.  Skylarks were heard singing in the area close to the Cotter Road but proved too elusive get a sighting.

Cheers

Rod

Rod Mackay
Tel.  0407 456 330