canberrabirds

What birds are worth reporting

To: "Alastair Smith" <>, <>
Subject: What birds are worth reporting
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 14:30:54 +1000
Curious, I agree and disagree with Alastair. Whilst it may be more personally enjoyable to learn things from our own efforts and resources, I would suggest that this has limited scope for actually knowing what is happening. It is by combining the efforts of each person into the bigger picture, that we get to find out more about the trends and do so very much faster than by doing it alone. That is why efforts to compile the data we have, have been worthwhile.

As for the resources to consult, I would repeat that Geoffrey Dabb provided a very good list of relevant resources. Whilst the COG ABR are fairly good, they have limited value for long term trends. The best local sources are the COG Atlas although that is now dated, Steve Wilson's book for the history and the GBS Report for detailed info about abundance trends within Canberra area.