canberrabirds

Frugivore

To: <>
Subject: Frugivore
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 17:32:54 +1000

Here is a pretty terrible, if not incomprehensible, photo.  If I didn’t think you were tired of quizzes I would ask you to guess what it is, what it is doing and where.   It is one of 3 bowerbirds that were feeding in the ANBG on what is, I think, butterbush, berrigan, native apricot, or weeping pittosporum.  Oddly this tree of the semi-arid zone is one of a few fruiting in the ANBG at the moment, and something SBBs must hardly ever come across given their more eastern range.  The native apricot in the west can be a terrific bird-attractor, and I have seen single trees hosting a dozen or more honeyeaters at once – spiny-cheeked and striped honeyeaters and yellow-throated miners.

The bowerbirds I see feeding around Canberra are mainly into lawn-grass and clover, and they like the berries on ivy where it grows as a rank vine.  In addition to vegetables, prunus etc, when available, they probably eat berries of cotoneaster and pyracantha, but I haven’t actually seen that.

The reason I have a slight doubt about the tree is that the little label on it says Pittosporum angustifolia and not phylliraeoides but the only other reference to P angustifolia I can find is on a list of SA State plants, so it must be one of those confusing name changes.

sbb_5074.jpg